Saturday, February 23, 2013

It's time to Save-A-Word!


This weekly blog hop is just right for word lovers and prompt writers alike. Here's how it goes:

1. Create a lovely blog post that links back to The Feather and The Rose blog - our host.

2. Pick an old word you want to save from extinction to feature in your blog post. It really must be an old word, not just a big one. We are trying to save lovely archaisms, not ugly giants (for example, "Dihydrogen Monoxide" is not an acceptable choice). Luciferous Logolepsy is a great database of lovely words if you're having trouble coming up with something on your own.

3. Provide a definition of your word. Use your word in a sentence (or even a short paragraph) vaguely related to the theme we have chosen this week. You may also add visual or musical interpretations of your word or your sentence. In fact, add anything that moves your creative spirit.

4. Add your post to the linky list below (sometimes it's added late). Then hop to as many other blogs as you can in search of as many wonderful words as possible!

5. Use as many of the words as you can on the people in your life. Do leave us a note or add something to your own post to let us all know what wonderful old word you whipped out to befuddle your friends and relations.

Today's theme isMusic

My word today is
Paraph - noun; origin 1350-1400
a flourish made after a signature, as in a document, originally as a precaution  against forgery.

And here's my writing for this stylish word:




"Great gosh darling, what the heck are you listening to and how long do you expect me to be a party to this noise?" Jeremy lifted both arms, whirling his hands above his head before covering his ears.

"Jeremy, why do you have to be so dramatic? You're always twirling your hands as if it's the paraph of your personality."





Feel free to join this blog hop below:

18 comments:

  1. Wow - you did a great job of building in that word! I'm going to have practice using it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks T. I still have trouble remembering to use these words.

      Delete
  2. Great word! I also really love your picture this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I haven't come across this one before. There must be so many nice words in danger of dying out. Your little excerpt was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's cute how you weaved that word into your character's personality. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so creative! I've never even heard of the word paraph! Thanks for saving it from extinction :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very welcome. I'm proud to say that I'm using this word too - at least in my writing.

      Delete
  6. Great word choice. I love your example.

    Congrats on making the leader board over at the dojo. Your word count is impressive. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa - but that word count wasn't for the week, just my starting point for now on. I made a comment to express that, but the comment hasn't been moderated yet.

      Delete
  7. This is a great bloghop. In my other language (Afrikaans) we use a form of paraph when we say someone's signing his/her initials. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice job with your word!!! I'll have to find a way to join this bloghop sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting word. I never heard of it before, but I've seen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never seen it before. But now I love it.

      Delete

Your comments add wonderful flavors. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...