Saturday, February 2, 2013

Save-A-Word Saturday!




I've just joined this fun blog hop began by The Feather and The Rose blog. The rules run thusly:

1. Create a lovely blog post that links back to The Feather and The Rose.

2. Pick an old word you want to save from extinction to feature in your blog post. It really must be an old word, not just a big one. We are trying to save lovely archaisms, not ugly giants (for example, "Dihydrogen Monoxide" is not an acceptable choice). Luciferous Logolepsy is a great database of lovely words if you're having trouble coming up with something on your own.

3. Provide a definition of your word. Use your word in a sentence (or even a short paragraph) vaguely related to the theme we have chosen this week. You may also add visual or musical interpretations of your word or your sentence. In fact, add anything that moves your creative spirit.

4. Add your post to the linky list below (it's down there somewhere). Then hop to as many other blogs as you can in search of as many wonderful words as possible!

5. Use as many of the words as you can on the people in your life. Do leave us a note or add something to your own post to let us all know what wonderful old word you whipped out to befuddle your friends and relations.


This week's theme is:
Tea cups


Here’s my word

Charge ~ only I’m using a particular meaning to this word:  Noun - a person committed to your care

Here's my writing for this nearly extinct word choice:


"It's her again, isn't it?" Marlene demanded.

Daniel couldn't say anything after having left his charge wandering into the heavily trafficked street and not notice until the bleating of a multitude of horns sent a shock to his system, yanking him from his day dream of the beautiful African princess Monica. Not really a princess nor African, but she truly resembled both, sitting in the cafe to the side of the road, her dark flawless skin contrasting against her gold embossed white dress. She sat majestically, sipping from a tea cup with the most grace anyone could dare expect to see.

"You know how much I love Fido! If anything had happened to him, I'd send you to the pound!"



15 comments:

  1. I love the word (good idea picking a seldom-used usage of a fairly common one), and your sentences! So excited to have you joining in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. This is my perfect kind of outlet.

      Delete
  2. I love how you took a 'familiar' word, but the almost forgotten meaning! The girl sounds like a gorgeous princess. I could really picture her sitting there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that this blog hop allows you to write from these wonderful prompts.

      Delete
  3. You're right -- I don't hear that usage much anymore, but I've seen it in someone of my older Victorian-era books. Cute vignette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nickie. I was surprised when my brother and a niece, both of who are good in English didn't know that usage when I used it in the pitch in my query. I ended up changing the word, not wanting to sound obscure in the query letter.

      Delete
  4. What a fun hop! I hadn't seen this one before, great idea. And I love your piece for the word "charge." As a dog lover, I would be sending Daniel to the pound too. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is fun. I can't wait for til next week for a new one. Thanks for dropping by and following!

      Delete
  5. Great idea for a blogfest! I love writing prompts! They only make you a stronger writer. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do and I love them too. You get so many new ideas for books and short stories from them. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. You're right - "charge" is a world I rarely see used. Good job resurrecting it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agreed, charge is a very interesting word, when using it from this perspective. Nice choice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great idea for a bloghop. I don't think I've ever used charged in this particular way...in fact i'm pretty sure I haven't, lol. Great word choice and I enjoyed your example paragraph too. (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a cool blogfest with things I love, writing prompts, words, learning. Nothin' like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great word!
    Love that you are using a non-common meaning ;)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add wonderful flavors. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...