Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Beauty of a Skeuomorph



When I came across this word on Dictionary.com, I just had to use it for Save-A-Word Saturday, because it truly made NO sense to me! My writing actually clarified it for me.

Today's theme isroses

My word today is: skeuomorph: [skew-uh-morph] (noun) an ornament or design on an object copied from a form of the object when made from another material or by other techniques, as an imitation metal rivet mark found on handles of prehistoric pottery.

And here's my writing for this word

“Come stand next to me Maggie. Right here, next to those wire roses. And be sure you smile this time.”

“Those aren’t wire roses, mom. That’s a skeuomorph design. Again you’re not looking at the big picture. See, if you back up, you’ll see that the roses are welded into the wrought-iron gate. You can tell that the roses are actually made of silver, but somehow aged to look almost exactly like wrought-iron. It’s quite amazi...“

“Alright already. Just get over here and take this picture. Dancing With the Stars is about to start!”



This weekly word lovers and prompt writers blog hop goes like this:

1. Create a lovely blog post that links back to The Feather and The Rose blog - our host.

2. Pick an old word you want to save from extinction to feature in your blog post. It really must be an old word, not just a big one. We are trying to save lovely archaisms, not ugly giants (for example, "Dihydrogen Monoxide" is not an acceptable choice). Luciferous Logolepsy is a great database of lovely words if you're having trouble coming up with something on your own.

3. Provide a definition of your word. Use your word in a sentence (or even a short paragraph) vaguely related to the theme we have chosen this week. You may also add visual or musical interpretations of your word or your sentence. In fact, add anything that moves your creative spirit.

4. Add your post to the linky list below (sometimes I add it later in the day). Then hop to as many other blogs as you can in search of as many wonderful words as possible!

5. Use as many of the words as you can on the people in your life. Do leave us a note or add something to your own post to let us all know what wonderful old word you whipped out to befuddle your friends and relations.


14 comments:

  1. Yup, another word I have never heard of. I loved your illustration of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was both a fun and informative story. The illustration is lovely, eye catching and gothic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was awesome! I clearly have some work to do with my Save the Word Saturday posts. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one gorgeous gate, and one snazzy word. Thanks for the pronunciation guidance; who knows what my mouth would have come up with otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pic and the idea that one thing can be made to look like another. Cool! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the feature on Kindle where I can highlight and look up words like this instantly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for that blog, absolutely love that gate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely hadn't ever heard of this one before--great word!

    ReplyDelete
  9. But the evolution of New Xbox Kinect, search for or ask for" Buy, Trade, Sell" thread.
    Neurofeedback is based on technology used
    to help pilots increase attention in flight.

    Here is my website - kinect xbox360

    ReplyDelete
  10. And now I've learned a new word--thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete

  11. That's a new word for me and you did a lovely job writing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a pretty interesting blog hop! That's one strange word with an even stranger meaning, but it's a great one to know.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha--I sense some mother-daughter tension. ;) Really cool word!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add wonderful flavors. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...