Saturday, May 18, 2013

What's Your Bibelot? Save-A-Word-Saturday





Today's theme isexhaustion

My word today is: bibelot: [bib-loh] (noun) a small object of curiosity, beauty or rarity

And here's my writing for this word:

It was finally the end of the week and I could barely keep my eyelids raised enough to see what George placed on the table. He lifted the lid of a small box, and the diminutive artifact inside baffled my eyes wide open. I wondered how George knew that only a trinket of this magnitude and pristine beauty could make my mouth water with desire and my imagination soar to unreachable heights.

“A bibelot of temptation I knew you could not resist,” George said.

I looked at him in horror. He’s found it. Not only does he own me, he now has my life’s blood in his hands!


This weekly word lovers and prompt writers blog hop goes like this:

1. Create a lovely blog post that links back to The Feather and The Rose blog - our host.

2. Pick an old word you want to save from extinction to feature in your blog post. It really must be an old word, not just a big one. We are trying to save lovely archaisms, not ugly giants (for example, "Dihydrogen Monoxide" is not an acceptable choice). Luciferous Logolepsy is a great database of lovely words if you're having trouble coming up with something on your own.

3. Provide a definition of your word. Use your word in a sentence (or even a short paragraph) vaguely related to the theme we have chosen this week. You may also add visual or musical interpretations of your word or your sentence. In fact, add anything that moves your creative spirit.

4. Add your post to the linky list below (sometimes I add it later in the day). Then hop to as many other blogs as you can in search of as many wonderful words as possible!

5. Use as many of the words as you can on the people in your life. Do leave us a note or add something to your own post to let us all know what wonderful old word you whipped out to befuddle your friends and relations.


11 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness! Someone using 'bibelot'! And an exquisite scene, as well. I can visualize the box and the trinket and the smile. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you know that word? Cool. Thanks for the kind words Diana.

      Delete
  2. That small object's certainly aroused *my* curiosity. What, oh, what could it be? ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great that you put in the pronunciation because I would have gotten it wrong. So. . .what's in the box? Curious. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since this was just a writing prompt, it could be so many things. I was thinking a charm like thing with her blood inside. :)

      Delete
  4. George got her all right. Never heard of the word but loved how you used it to make a cool little story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it were to go on, I'm sure she would get him back! I'm glad you thought of the MC as a she.

      Delete
  5. I appreciated the phonetic spelling as well. I had it completely wrong. Love learning new words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting word, Nancy. Plus I like your writing on it, especially the sentence which reads "...artifact inside baffled my eyes wide open." I love the eyes being baffled wide open, especially since the character could barely keep their eyes raised to begin with. Nice job. Nice word choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I drop a leave a response whenever I especially enjoy a article on a website or I have something
    to contribute to the discussion. It's caused by the fire communicated in the post I browsed. And on this post "What's Your Bibelot?
    Save-A-Word-Saturday". I was actually moved enough to drop a commenta response ;) I do have a couple of questions for you if you do not mind. Is it simply me or do some of these remarks look like left by brain dead people? :-P And, if you are posting on other online sites, I'd like to keep up with anything fresh you have to post. Would you list the complete urls of your social sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

    My blog ... Psn code generator

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add wonderful flavors. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...